Allergies and its corresponding illnesses are the result of a trigger which goes into your body and causes a clash with the immune system. In some cases, you may need to see an allergy doctor immediately. Here is everything you need to know about hives and how it caused and treated.
Hives is a skin disorder or an allergic reaction to something which was on your skin. The result ends up in the formation of red and bumpy patches all over your skin. They also itch a lot and you have this urge to always scratch them. The bumps and patches can appear anywhere on the skin, but they are mostly evident on the arms, legs and even the face. You want to find out the possible triggers of this allergic reaction to the skin.
Hives is also known as urticaria and it can be worsened by intake of alcohol, certain foods and even taking too much stress. It is also aggravated by exercise and sweating and this causes a lot more irritation on the skin than usual.
What Are The Causes Of Hives?
Now that you have an idea of what hives is, let’s see what are the causes and potential triggers of hives.
- Bug bites and certain insects can cause hives. The insects can bite into your skin and cause your skin to break out in red and itchy patches. This can be quite uncomfortable and if you are someone who is allergic to insects, then do your best to stay away from them.
- Sometimes, blood transfers and transfusions can also lead to hives and formation of itchy bumps on the skin. This can be due to some foreign body present in the transfused blood, which goes into your body and tackles with the immune system.
- Certain foods like peanuts, gluten, wheat, dairy, etc. can also cause hives and infections to the skin. This means that you are probably allergic to these certain foods and you need to stop taking them immediately.
- Some medicines can also cause hives, like antibiotics and some steroids.
- Pollen and plants can cause infections and red bumps to form on the skin.
- Certain clothes and materials may make your skin sensitive and can cause hives.
- Use of latex gloves can cause hives.
- Some skin products which have harsh chemicals and fragrance can also cause hives. Some people’s skin has a sensitivity to smell and fragrance. Use fragrance free products if the smell bothers or irritates your skin.
What Are The Symptoms Of Hives?
Here are the common symptoms of hives.
- Your skin will start to feel itchy.
- Your skin will break out in red patches.
- These patches may also have small and big bumps.
- These bumps may be very itchy and you will always have an urge to scratch them.
- These bumps and patches will appear on your arms, legs, body and even your face.
- Sometimes, these bumps are filled with water or some sort of liquid like puss and if this bump bursts, it can cause infections.
- You will also feel a burning sensation on your skin.
- If you touch the red patches on your skin, they will feel warm.
- You also might have a fever, which is mostly viral and goes away after 2 weeks or so.
Treatments For Hives
Here are some treatment options for hives.
- Take antihistamines as they will numb the itching and you will not have the urges to scratch your skin.
- Go for immunotherapy and get your allergy shots.
- Use soothing creams on your skin where the patches are, the medicine in the cream will help with the redness and itchiness.
- Wear loose fitting clothes.
- Use sunscreen to protect your skin from sun damage.
- Don’t eat foods which will give you an allergic reaction.
- Use soaps and products with natural ingredients, no harsh chemicals on your sensitive skin.
There you have it! Hives can be a very uncomfortable allergic reaction and it is best if you treat it right away. It takes a bit of time to heal but the right treatment will set you on the right path. For this, you should consider going to an allergy center Germantown you can trust.